Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

my third week

As I approach the third week of my stay in Germany, my brain is beginning to feel the intensity of this whole experience. The first two weeks were no problem, but this week, I can't turn my brain off at night and I get headaches during the day. I suppose that is all part of being submersed in a culture. I wish I had a picture of my face when people talk to me in public.....since I don't understand half of what they are saying yet, I have to wait until they stop talking, then give them, "I don't speak much German" line. I feel so stupid, but its incentive to study more and more so I can converse like a normal person soon.

Everyone I have met so far is so nice and warm. The grandmother of my host family speaks a little English, and she told me the other day that she learned her English from the American soldiers who came to Germany after WW2. She said they gave the children gum, which was pretty unheard of back then. It is hard to believe that most of the elderly people I see everywhere saw first hand the horrors of the Nazis (if that's what you call it). They lived in a totally different time, and I can't imagine they stories they have to tell.

Pray that I sleep well at night and learn German very fast. I already have learned so much, but your brain can only handle so many words everyday.

and, I miss driving my car : (

Hasta luego!

P.S. You should get a FACEBOOK account if you want to see pictures of Germany. ok, that's all : )

No comments:

The publisher/owner of this website, Hannah Rowlands, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.