Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Sunday, September 16, 2007

how overwhelming....

One of my "contacts" here is Chris, a 44 year old pastor who has been married for 11 years and has 3 adorable little children (and, he went to Regent!). Anyways, this weekend, I stayed with him and his family, and I soon found out that he is incredibly more gifted than I thought. Get this --- he has been to so many countries that he has lost count and he can speak and write German (duh), English, Spanish, French, Greek, Hebrew, Latin (which really isn't spoken anymore), Italian, and he's thinking about learning Arabic. You would think that someone who knows so much would be the kind of person who has lived in an office all their life and has no social life, but no, he is in charge of the "college" group at his church, so he knows everybody.

So of course, I began to feel a little insignificant around him. We have very different views on some things, and honestly I feel scared to challenge any of his views. Talking with people other than him has also confirmed my view that I am very much a "fish out of water" over here as far as social issues goes. Its amazing to me how two Christians who have studied and prayed about the same thing can arrive at totally different conclusions. I think the best way after you each have presented your opposing sides and are still at loggerheads is to agree to disagree. All I do know is that I cannot wait to get home and talk with someone who shares my opinions and is enthusiastic about them. argg, that sounds odd....

That's my insight for the weekend.

back to German grammar.....

1 comment:

Lu said...

SHAN that is awesome though...i am jealous (sort of) and cannot wait to hear about all of this! that is incredible that he speaks so many languages, but all Americans are behind Europeans anyway so you and me = learning something next semester? love you lady! come home soon!

The publisher/owner of this website, Hannah Rowlands, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.