Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

can we be thankful, please?

So, last year, my sister and I decided that we were going to give my mom a break from making the annual TONS AND TONS of food feast....and needless to say, we are giving her back the baton this year. My aunt and uncle came up for Thanksgiving last year, and Sarah and I timed everything horribly, so what was supposed to be a huge lunch, turned out to be a huge dinner. But, you know, nobody should have complained about our tardiness, because for goodness sakes, its Thanksgiving! and at least we had food!

Sarah and I have decided to make sure everyone in our family is thankful this year, or else no one gets any food : )

I saw Bella this weekend, and I loved it. Hopefully, you will go see it and love it too.

I am so thankful that I am not a politician. That sentence sounds odd coming from me, being that I am a Government major, but honestly, politics stresses me out. Most people assume that I want to be the first female president when I state my major, but they assume that erroneously : ). I think it is a sad reflection on a church/state/nation when the only capable leaders available are women. I think men should lead, which reminds me of a poem (don't laugh, this is good stuff)

GOD, give us men! A time like this demands
Strong minds, great hearts, true faith and ready hands;
Men whom the lust of office does not kill;
Men whom the spoils of office can not buy;
Men who possess opinions and a will;
Men who have honor; men who will not lie;
Men who can stand before a demagogue
And damn his treacherous flatteries without winking!
Tall men, sun-crowned, who live above the fog
In public duty, and in private thinking;
For while the rabble, with their thumb-worn creeds,
Their large professions and their little deeds,
Mingle in selfish strife, lo! Freedom weeps,
Wrong rules the land and waiting Justice sleeps.

(by Josiah Gilbert Holland)

there you have it.

One last note, I really Tavis Smiley. He's clever, smart, and tonight, he asked Lyle Lovette about his worldview. Never thought that word would be in his vocabulary. I'm pleasantly surprised : )

ok, tchuss

No comments:

The publisher/owner of this website, Hannah Rowlands, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.